The Dinner Party
The Storied Foods team has had a lifelong fascination with the almost magical ability of great food to foster new connections between people. This blog marks the start of an exploration of how that magic can be integrated into our lives.
For this initial blog, we start with a simple idea called “The Dinner Party”. “The Dinner Party” is a combination of a parlor game and a pot luck dinner. It’s cheap, easy and most importantly, creates a memorable evening every time.
How It Works
- Each invitee prepares a dish that has special meaning for them and brings it to the party to share.
- As their dish is served, the guest introduces the dish and tells the story behind their dish. It is that simple!
Our experience is that the stories, even from people we have known the longest, never fail to amaze.
Tips and Tricks
- Limit the evening to 10 guests. Believe me, that will fill the evening.
- Mix it Up! Invite a mix of old and new acquaintances.
- Hosts go first. As hosts, we go first in telling our stories. This will help guests get a better understanding of how the game works. From then on, the stories are told as the dish is served.
- Manage the Menu. The host needs to know what people are bringing and fill in gaps. (Ex: 9 desserts and 1 appetizer would be a problem.)
- To BYOB or Not to BYOB? As hosts, we have always elected to provide the alcohol. The one reason for an anti BYOB policy is to avoid anyone showing up with a nice bottle of wine and a boozy story about over indulging. As the saying goes, “what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.”
Share Your Story
After your “Dinner Party,” please share your experiences and pics on the Storied Foods Facebook page. We would love to hear from you.